Katz, Sarah Janine
High Court Justice Sarah KATZ
|Postion & Titles:|
|Judge of:||High Court, Auckland||Since August 2012|
|Specializations and Professional Interests:||Litigation, predominately corporate, with particular emphasis on the dairy industry, energy and intellectual property|
|Professional Comments:||Transaction Experience (from Justice Sarah Katz’ CV)
· Defending a Shell subsidiary in New Zealand ‘s leading insider trading case, arising out of the takeover of Southern Petroleum by Fletcher Challenge.
· Acting for a leading retail bank in complex tax litigation relating to structured finance arrangements.
· Acting for banks (including ANZ, National Bank, BNZ and HSBC) on a range of litigation matters.
· Acting for Auckland International Airport in connection with a substantial Public Works Act claim.
· Acting for Carter Holt Harvey and Norske Skog in proceedings against Tenon relating to the sale of its central North Island forests.
· Acting for Vector in proceedings involving the Auckland Energy Consumer Trust, the success of which enabled Vector to embark on a takeover of NGC.
· Appearing for clients in all New Zealand courts on a range of commercial matters including significant contract, companies and securities and banking disputes.
· Acting for a range of corporates in the obtaining of approval from the High Court in relation to schemes of arrangement, capital reductions and amalgamation proposals.
Representing a wide range of commercial clients (including Toll, NZ Funds and ABN Amro) in their dealings with the Securities Commission and other regulatory or investigatory bodies including the Companies Office National Enforcement Unit.Sarah Katz has particular interest and expertise in contractual disputes, trust law, tax litigation and companies and securities issues. Her work has spanned a wide variety of industry sectors including energy, financial services, forestry, primary industries and property.
|Background / Education:||Sarah Katz joined Chapman Tripp directly out of university in 1987. After a few years she left to further her education overseas and worked briefly for Herbert Smith in London.Sarah Katz then returned in 1993 to join Buddle Findlay.Sarah Katz joined Russell McVeagh as a partner in 2003, where she remained until her judicial appointment by Attorney General Chris Finlayson, part of a deal around Finlayson’s appointment of her Russell McVeagh colleague Michael Heron to Solicitor General.|
|Degrees:||LLB, University of Otago (1987)
LLM, University of London (1992)
|Admitted to the Bar:||1987|
|Company Involvements:||MAPLE LEAF INVESTMENTS LIMITED (941649) (Struck off)
Director: Appointed 18 Jan 1999MAPLE LEAF INVESTMENTS LIMITED (941649) (Struck off)
Shareholder: 99% (Individually held)GINGKO ORTHOPAEDICS LIMITED (1005840)
Shareholder: 90% (Jointly held)
FINDGARD INVESTMENTS AUCKLAND LIMITED (1027784)
GUMMIES BUSH FARM MANAGEMENT LIMITED (3466991)
|Married:||Stephen Zane Katz||Children:||at least one|
|Interesting Relationships and Coincidences:|